THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Click 'The Oracle' title above to enter The Oracle Forum and discuss your quest for answers with kindred spirits. Courtesy costs nothing - if you disagree with someone, disagree politely. Abuse is not tolerated.
hope

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Post by hope »

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN
Page 1 of 1

hope

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

This novel was first published in 1924 after 12 years of labour, a story of the self development of
the 'hero' ,Hans Castorp ,being just a simple young man but focuses much on of the other characters within the story.

It is made clear that Mann did not intend for the readers to take the 'hero's' simplicity at face value, for
almost nobody is really simple or remains so for long if intelligently observed, the simplifications of reality as
Hans Castorp encounters them through the book are the object of Mann's irony.

The Magic Mountain is also a novel about disease, not merely of individuals but also of a whole age, where disease
appears as the necessary of spiritual growth, the theme of 'spirit & life, Mann concerns himself to attempt
"to see the real in spiritual and the spiritual in the real"

Time is both the medium and the subject of the Novel, as to whether time can be narrated or not, since the
book is basically about Hans Castorp's range of experience, time is conceived solely as a correlative of his
experience, by taking part in the 'hero's" real life experiences, the reader becomes the true centre of the novel,
this is what Mann wanted to achieve.

The 20-8-5=15 = 6
Magic. 13-1-7-9-3=
4-1-7-9-3=6
Mountain. 13-16-2-14-20-1-9-14=
4-7-2-5-2-1-9-5=35=8
668=2

Throughout the book there are countless recurring variations on the theme of time and as a newcomer,Hans,
is exposed,first of all to the thin air of Berghof and the bizarre silhouettes of dense forests and snow capped
mountains surrounding it, Mann uses nature to evoke new & unfamiliar feelings in Hans, feelings of
vagueness and timelessness-feelings which will be intensified as he ventures higher into the regions of
external snow and ice.
Besides using nature to introduce the newcomer to the sanatorium Mann also use Joachim Ziemseen,Castorp's
cousin ,unknowingly Joachim has taken on some of the characteristics of the mode of life at the Berghof,
and one thing in particular which confuses Hans about Joachim is the latter' concept of time,it strikes him that
Joachim 's sense of time is very haphazard,in fact their conversation soon dwells on the nature of time, so
treasured in the 'real world' below and so meaningless 'up here' where there is little to demand it observance
except the routine of taking ones own temperature,these reflections on the static quality of duration soon,
however Mann will be concerned with the linear and circular aspects of time in the course of Castorp's growing ok
awareness.
I don't want to ruin the suspense of the novel but this book is so worth reading , the seance scene about half way
through the book is disturbing,especially concerning Elly, Brand a young Danish girl whose talents as a medium
are ruthlessly exploited by the doctor,Dr Krokowski, also with Han's cousin Joachim.
This is a book I will read and read again over the years , The Magic Mountain is said to be one of the greatest
novels ever written and an essential purchase for every sickbed in winter.....?

Page 147 of the novel all the names on that page add up to 147..
also all the names with 7 letters in are mentioned 7 times ..
Behrens,Castorp,Joachim,and Marusja.

ELLY BRAND

ELLIE BlAND

Disturbing News -Daily Mail Monday March 22nd 2010

Girl age 4 dies in car horror on holiday beach..
A British girl, Ellie Bland was killed by a car as she walked along a popular beach on Florida's
east coast, although police said the vechicle was driving within the 10mph speed
limit the girl,was sent flying,
horrified witnesses screamed as the car halted but before they could reach Ellie
the driver,Barbara Worley 66 panicked and hit the accelerator surging forward,
killing the girl.
Ellie's parents who were at home in Nottingham flew to Florida heard about
their daughters death by phone.
Florida police said that Worley would face charges....

http://www.973-eht-namuh-973.com/Alchem ... IN%201.htm

http://www.973-eht-namuh-973.com/Alchem ... NTAIN.html
http://www.mysteriousplanchette.com/His ... tory1.html

http://www.973-eht-namuh-973.com/Alchem ... %20IS.html

http://www.973-eht-namuh-973.com/Alchem ... IN%201.htm
Last edited by hope on 22 Dec 2018 20:11, edited 4 times in total.
hope

Re: THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Post by hope »

BeN1

Post by BeN1 »

Very interesting and informative post, you made me go buy this book and I know it's very worth reading.

thank you
DEUTERONOMIUM
hope

Post by hope »

image.jpeg
hope

Re: MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Post by hope »

Magic Squares

"Several palindromic magic squares can be found at The a World of Numbers. The World of Palindromic
numbers would be more appropriate".

"Here is the most famous magic square, from Albrecht Durer's Melancholia. He engraved it in 1514."

THE MAGIC SQUARE

JUPITER

hope

Post by hope »

image.jpeg
hope

Post by hope »

SPIRIT OF THE OUIJA BOARD
123456789 ABCDEFGHIJKLMOPQRSTUVWXYZ 123456789

hope

Post by hope »

image.jpeg
BeN1

Post by BeN1 »

started reading, for keeping my spirit on a good path.

Got to say, it reads itself very gloriously, so, why do I not read this book as much as possible...?

But its really good I see, and this will, will take me to the finish.

greetings
BeN1
DEUTERONOMIUM
BeN1

Post by BeN1 »

maybe the reason is, everytime reading for a while on a tablet or smartphone does suck big time.

Or maybe I am just oldfashioned in my thought of having a real book in my hands, which I think is the real deal.

but am looking forward to get my physical copy soon.

greetings
BeN1
Last edited by BeN1 on 20 Feb 2020 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
DEUTERONOMIUM
BeN1

Post by BeN1 »

hope wrote: 17 Dec 2018 10:19
THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN
Page 1 of 1

hope

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
in remembering of hope...
I will look forward 2 read even more mindful from now on, because, I know she liked this book, she often recited from it and oh man,
somehow I think, I will miss that. RIP

saddened greetings
BeN1
DEUTERONOMIUM
Redbeck
Location: The Rookery, 3rd Horse Chestnut along, St Johns, Britain. Teacher leave our nuts alone!

Post by Redbeck »

A WORTHY RESURRECTION OF A POST BY HOPE, OUR DEAR FRIEND AND CONTRIBUTOR WRITING ON THE SUBJECT OF A BOOK SO IMPORTANT TO THE SITE’S WORK. HOPE LEFT US TOO SOON, WE HOPE SHE RESTS WITH ANGELS. David Denison’s work on Thomas Mann’s ‘The Magic Mountain’ has continued and shares further powerful numeric patterns have emerged as the heptad comes into its own..

Regards Redbeck

Follow the signposts on the link below for the expansion:

http://www.973-eht-namuh-973.com/Alchem ... AIN%20.htm

Redbeck
Location: The Rookery, 3rd Horse Chestnut along, St Johns, Britain. Teacher leave our nuts alone!

Post by Redbeck »

BeN1

Post by BeN1 »

wanted to post a .gif on this site, but not wanted to make a new post for this, also not kick off this important topic from the pinnacle,
so I hope for it okei to post here, I think its an incredible one idk,
but that one catched me.

hopefully that was okay ..

also I have to say to not have known hope like you did here, but I always enjoyed having a conversation with her on here, brings me instantly back to the beginning ..

greetings
BeN1
DEUTERONOMIUM
Redbeck

Post by Redbeck »

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Thomas Mann

1875 1955

FOREWORD

"THE STORY of Hans Castorp, which we would here set forth, ..."

We shall tell it at length, thoroughly, in detail-for when did a narrative seem too long or too short by reason of the actual time or space it took up? We do not fear being called meticulous, inclining as we do to the view that only the exhaustive can be truly interesting.

Not all in a minute, then, will the narrator be finished with the story of our Hans. The seven days of a week will not suffice, no, nor seven months either. Best not too soon make too plain how much mortal time must pass over his head while he sits spun round in his spell. Heaven forbid it should be seven years!
And now we begin"

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Thomas Mann 1824-1955

Page 10

Number 34

"ON their right as they entered, between the main door and the inner one, was the porter's lodge. An official of the French type, in the grey livery of the man at the station, was sitting at the tele­phone, reading the newspaper. He came out and led them through the well-lighted halls, on the left of which lay the reception-rooms. Hans Castorp peered in as he passed, but they were empty. Where, then, were the guests, he asked, and his cousin answered: " In the rest-cure. I had leave tonight to go out and meet you. Otherwise I am always up in my balcony, after supper."
Hans Castorp came near bursting out again. " What! You lie out on your balcony at night, in the damp? " he asked, his voice shak­ing.

" Yes, that is the rule. From eight to ten. But come and see your room now, and get a wash."
They entered the lift - it was an electric one, worked by the Frenchman. As they went up, Hans Castorp wiped. his eyes.

" I'm perfectly worn out with laughing, he said, and breathed through his mouth. cc You've told me such a lot of crazy stuff ­

that about the psycho-analysis was the last straw. I suppose I am a bit relaxed from the journey. And my feet are cold - are yours? But my face bums so, it is really unpleasant. Do we eat now? I feel hungry. Is the food decent up here?"

They went noiselessly along the coco matting of the narrow corridor, which was lighted by electric lights in white glass shades set in the ceiling. The walls gleamed with hard white enamel paint.

They had a glimpse of a nursing sister in a white cap, and eye­glasses on a cord that ran behind her ear. She had the look of a Protestant sister - that is to say, one working without a real vo­cation and burdened with restlessness and ennui. As they went along the corridor, Hans Castorp saw, beside two of the white ­enamelled, numbered doors, certain curious, swollen-looking, bal­loon-shaped vessels with short necks. He did not think, at the moment, to ask what they were.

" Here you are," said Joachim. " I am next to you on the right. The other side you have a Russian couple, rather loud and offensive, but it couldn't be helped. Well, how do you like it? "

There were two doors, an outer and an inner, with clothes hooks in the space between. Joachim had turned on the ceiling light, and jn its vibrating brilliance the room looked restful and cheery, with practical white furniture, white washable walls, clean / Page 11 / linoleum, and white linen curtains gaily embroidered in modern taste. The door stood open; one saw the lights of the valley and heard distant dance-music. The good Joachim had put a vase of flowers on the chest of drawers - a few bluebells and some yarrow, which he had found himself among the second crop of grass on the slopes.

" Awfully decent of you, "said Hans Castorp. "What a nice room! I can spend a couple of weeks here with pleasure."

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Thomas Mann 1875-1955

Page 10

Chapter 1

"Number 34"

"But come and see your room now"

"What a nice room! I can spend a couple of weeks here with pleasure."

Page 663

"Lie down here in the sand! How cool as death it is, / Page 664 / how soft as silk, as flour! It flows in a colourless, thin stream from thy hand and makes a dainty mound beside thee. Dost thou recognize it, this tiny flowing? It is the soundless, tiny stream through the hour glass, that solemn, fragile toy that adorns the hermit's hut. An open book a skull, and in its slender frame the double glass, holding a little sand, taken from eternity, to prolong here, as time, its troubling, solemn mysterious essence. . ."

"For the moment, however, and before Holger withdrew to the tranquillity of his hasten-ing while, it would be better, and certainly most amiable of him, if he would consent to answer a few practical questions. They scarcely as yet knew what, but would he at least be in principle inclined to do so, in his great amiability?

The answer was yes. But now they discovered a great perplexity - what should they ask? It was as in the fairy story, when the fairy or elf grants one question, and there is danger of letting the precious advantage slip through the fingers. There was much in the world, much of the future, that seemed worth knowing, yet it was difficult to choose. At length, as no one else seemed able to settle, Hans Castorp, with his finger on the glass supporting his cheek on his fist, said he would like to know what was to be / Page 665 / the actual length of his stay up here, instead of the three weeks originally fixed.

Very well, since they thought of nothing better, let the spirit out of the fullness of his knowledge answer this chance query. The glass hesitated, then pushed off. It spelled out something very queer which none of them succeeded in fathoming, it made the word, or the syllable Go, and then the word Slanting and then something about Hans Castorp's room, that was to say, through number thirty-four. What was the sense of that."

NUMBER THIRTY- FOUR

I will read the books. it might take me 7 years to finish them.

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Thomas Mann 1933

Penguin Modern Classics

The cover of this addition shows a detail from 'Dent du Midi' by Oskar Kokoschka.

Forward. Page XII and counting. From the front cover to the back seventh page the following quote.

"Not all in a minute then, will the narrator be finished with the story of our Hans. The seven days of a week will not suffice, no, nor seven months either. Best not too soon make too plain how much mortal time must pass over his head while he sits spun round in his spell. Heaven forbid it should be seven years!

And said the scribe to Aliz-zed there are seven chapters contained in the ascent of The Magic Mountain

JOSEPH AND HIS BROTHERS

Thomas Mann,

The Tales of Jacob of the Long Waiting.

Page 174

"This man had said to that man: Give me thy daughter to wife, and the other man had answered: What wilt thou give for her? And the other man had had nothing. Then the above mentioned man had said: Seeing that thou canst pay no dowry nor any presents to hang at the bride's girdle at the betrothal, thou shalt serve me for as many years as the week hath days."

"Then said the other man: So be it. In the name of the king, so be it. Each side took one of the contracts."

"The agreement was sensible, the judge found it fair, and from the business side, Jacob himself had not much to complain of. If he owed his uncle a mina of silver at sixty shekels, seven years' labour would not suffice to pay the debt, for the average wage for a labourer was seven shekels a year, and seven of them would not make up the sum. He felt profoundly that the economic point of view was a very deceptive one; that if there were a just scale, a God's scale, as it were, the side with the seven years would have made the side with the shekels fly up into the air. But after all, he would spend these years in Rachel's company and thus love's sacrifice would be mingled with much joy."

Page 175

"Seven years! Seven years they must wait for each other."

"As for the seven years, they were even now in the process of being lived down."

"Jacob suppressed the thought in his mind. This he did and so too should the narrator, and not imagine that he can pass over and obliterate the time with a little sentence like "Seven years went by." It is the story-tellers way to say things like that."

"And even pass as though they had been seven days. For such is the tradition: that the seven years before which Jacob had at first quailed with fear, passed by like days."

"What we have here is certainly no "seven-sleeper" enchantment, nor, indeed, any other kind, save that of time itself, whose larger units pass as do the smaller ones, neither slow nor fast, but simply pass."

Page 176

"Jacob did not say that seven years went as fast as days"

"Thus it was Jacob said that seven years, to him, like days."

"Seven days may under some circumstances be harder to swallow, a more daring adventure in time than seven years."

"And if we look back, lo, the point where we stepped in is "far back" it is, for instance seven years away, years that have passed like days."

"No one says that Jacob undertook and entered upon his seven years with joy, for only after they had passed might he beget children with Rachel."

"And thus seven years to him, while not so little as seven years in the sight of God, were yet not nearly so much to him as to one who should live but fifty or sixty years."

Page 176/7

"Pure waiting is torture; no one could bear to sit seven years, or seven days."

JOSEPH AND HIS BROTHERS

Thomas Mann 1933

The Time of Enfranchisement.

Page 980 9 x 8 = 72

"What would have become of us, for instance when Jacob was serving with the Devil Laban, seven and thirteen and five - in short, twenty-five years."

"And what would become of us now without that reasonable principle, when our little bark, driven by the measuredly moving stream of narration, hovers again on the brink of a time-cataract of seven and seven prophesied years? Well, to begin with, and just amongst ourselves: in these fourteen years things were neither quite so definitely good nor so definitely bad as the prophecy would have them."

"For the sake of the prophecy they are willing to agree that two and two make five - if the phrase may be used in a context where not five but an even higher odd number, namely seven, is in question. Probably this would constitute no great difficulty, five being almost as respectable a number as seven; and surely no reasonable man would insist that five instead of seven could constitute and inexactitude. In fact and in reality the prophesied seven looked rather more like five."

"Among the fat ones were one or two which might have been described as certainly not lean, but to a critical eye as certainly no more than very moderately fat. The lean ones were all lean enough, at least five of them, if not seven;"

THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Thomas Mann 1875 -1955

Page 266

"..."And if one is interested in life, one must be particularly interested in death, mustn't one? "

"Oh, well, after all, there is some sort of difference. Life is life which keeps the form through change of substance."

"Why should the form remain?" said Hans Castorp. / Page 267 / "why? Young man, what you are saying now sounds far from humanistic."
"Form is folderol."

"Well, you are certainly in great form to-day - you're regularly kicking over the traces. But I must drop out now," said the Hofrat." I am beginning to feel melancholy," and he laid his huge hand over his eyes." I can feel it coming on. You see, I've drunk coffee with you, and it tasted good to me, and all of a sudden it comes over me that I am going to be melancholy. You gentlemen must excuse me. It was an extra occasion, I enjoyed it no end ..."

CITY OF REVELATION

John Michell 1972

Page 160

"All who study the cabalistic science and the geometry and numbers of creation are attacked by melancholy, some-times fatally, the suicide rate among cabalists being notoriously high. The Point is clearly made in Durer's Melancholia. The garden of paradise, symbol of the ultimate perfection of human consciousness, has many delightful inhabitants which are at the same time dangerous beasts to whoever fails to recognise their nature and function; and of these the most treachrrous is the mercurial old serpent of wisdom, that leads men on in the search of the treasure of which it is in itself the the venomous custodian."

DOCTOR FAUSTUS

Thomas Mann 1947

Page 92

On the wall above the piano was an arithmetical diagram fastened with drawing pins, something he had found in a second-hand shop; a so-called magic square, such as appears also in Durer’s Melancholia, along with an the hour-glass, the circle, the scale, the polyhedron, and other symbols. here as there, the figure was divided into sixteen Arabic-numbered fields, in such a way that number one was in the right-hand lower corner, sixteen in the upper left: and the magic or oddity, simply consisted in the fact that the sum of these numerals, however you added them, straight down, crosswise, or diagonally, always came to thirty four. what the principle was upon which this magic uniformity rested I never made out, but by virtue of the prominent place Adrian had given it over the piano, it always attracted the eye, and I believe I never visited hi room without giving a quick glance, slanting up or straight down and testing once more the invariably, incredible result!