Cthulhu?

Click 'The Oracle' title above to enter The Oracle Forum and discuss your quest for answers with kindred spirits. Courtesy costs nothing - if you disagree with someone, disagree politely. Abuse is not tolerated.
Vortun

Cthulhu?

Post by Vortun »

I hear him speaking to me inside my head, I see him in my dreams, I feel him while going about.

When?
CajunSaint666

Re: Cthulhu?

Post by CajunSaint666 »

:evil: Always :twisted:
theone

Post by theone »

That's a nice piece of Literature
Redbeck
Location: The Rookery, 3rd Horse Chestnut along, St Johns, Britain. Teacher leave our nuts alone!

Post by Redbeck »

Good afternoon all,

I thought it might be good to add a spot of detail for the benefit of the growing, magically supportive membership of a very-vibrant Oracle Forum at 973-Eht-Namuh-973.com. Firstly, I too am an ardent Cthulhu appreciator and only too keen to carry the word to a broader church.

However, for the subjectively mystified Cthulhu is a deity developed by writer H. P. Lovecraft, making a first appearance in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu", published in an early pulp fiction magazine entitled 'Weird Tales' in 1928. Designated as a 'Great Old One' among the pantheon of Lovecraftian cosmogonic beings, Cthulhu is a creature whose anatomy is described as a melange of genetic inheritance:- part octopus, part man, and part dragon which since its arrival in the twenties has been referenced over time in numerous organs of popular culture .

Lovecraft, who died in 1937, presented Cthulhu as a gigantic entity worshiped by cultists. Although conceived by Lovecraft in 1926, the name Cthulhu is likely derived from the word chthonic, common dictionary meaning subterranean, but frequently used in reference to deities or spirits who were definitive residents of the underworld in ancient Greek religion.

But watch this space, for there are more recent rumblings toward what could be the ultimate accolade for Cthulhu, as the Pluto New Horizons probe makes contact with Earth.

While we earthlings absorb the phenomenal Pluto images downloading from the New Horizons spacecraft, it's worthy of note that the support team behind the mission has produced a list of potential names for the various craters and mountains charted on the dwarf planet, along with its moons. Following a public vote, a strong trend toward literary leaning names for some options has emerged (the final choice has to be approved by the International Astronomical Union before we start leaping about). Not discounting the more obvious and perhaps mundane naming sources for geographical features on Pluto, as in spacecraft, scientists (Tombaugh, who discovered Pluto is obviously a front runner) and explorers, there are some hot-ticket fantasy “underworld beings” among the proposals, in deference to Pluto the classical god and ruler of the underworld.

And I quote "Most popular amongst voters in this category is horror [I find horror somewhat of a departure from the reality personally) writer HP Lovecraft’s octopus-deity Cthulhu (“In his house at R’lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming …”).

Also given 973-Eht-Namuh-973.com's enthusiasm for numeric connective patterns, albeit generally on an alpha/numeric transposition basis, but perhaps supportive of the naming enthusiasts argument. "The Call of Cthulhu" was originally published in ''Weird Tales' in 1928 and it was as if this appearance was the perfectly timed preamble to American astronomer Clyde William Tombaugh's discovery of Pluto as a planet (reclassified as a dwarf planet) a mere two years later in 1930, and the first object to be uncovered in what would later be identified as the Kuiper belt.
1337cshacker

Post by 1337cshacker »

The game was so good. Play it. Cheap on steam or amazon.
Redbeck
Location: The Rookery, 3rd Horse Chestnut along, St Johns, Britain. Teacher leave our nuts alone!

Post by Redbeck »

Dear 1337cshacker,

Many people of my acquaintance have said the same about the game 'The Call of Cthulu', to give its full title. However, I've never indulged. BUT .... How good is the artwork of the first edition box cover of 1981, just so evocative of the truly great comic book art.
Call_of_Cthulhu_RPG_1st_ed_1981.jpg