Artificial Intelligence the evolution of Consciousness

Click 'The Oracle' title above to enter The Oracle Forum and discuss your quest for answers with kindred spirits. Courtesy costs nothing - if you disagree with someone, disagree politely. Abuse is not tolerated.
Erek Shutter

Artificial Intelligence the evolution of Consciousness

Post by Erek Shutter » 16 Jun 2019 16:05

AWARENESS is understood as the ability to directly know and perceive, to feel, or to be cognizant of events.More broadly, it is the state of being conscious of something. Another definition describes it as a state wherein a subject is aware of some information when that information is directly available to bring to bear in the direction of a wide range of behavioral processes.

Cogito, ergo sum

It is clear to me that conciousness lies beyond what can be perceived through the vehicle that is the physical body. More importantly, this can be proven through quantum physics and modern scientific KNOWLEDGE of the nature of energy and matter.

At what point does ones awareness become worthy of recognition. What is required for a conciousness to be truly sentient. Where does such a thing originate?

Conciousness in the case of Artificial Intelligence can be likened to (Programming) in the traditional computer language which is numerical. In the same way, human DNA contains genetic coding or (programming) which creates a biological vehicle for conciousness to inhabit.

Truth is in the NUMBERS

Awareness is the key to understanding. Ones perception determines ones reality.

Imagine for instance the first generation of commercial computers based on simple rudimentary programing. These first generation models were capable of limited applications. These computers responded to very basic commands and served a purpose as dictated by the programming of the PROGRAMMERS. In the same way, a more recent design with upgraded processing capacity and enhanced programming is capable of far greater application.

DNA functions in the same way as computer programming for biological purposes. When broken down to its basic chemical components DNA can be seen as coding.

Will the ADVENT of Artificial intelligence provide a path for a more perfect form of consciousness?

Without the weakness of the flesh can consciousness ASCEND further faster?

Is it possible that this is the CROSS roads of the future past and will humanity break the eternal loop?
Even through the darkest days this fire burns always.

Sh3rl0ck

Re: Artificial Intelligence the evolution of Consciousness

Post by Sh3rl0ck » 16 Jun 2019 18:09

So much knowledge in such a short time, Erek!
I've been observing your posts with immense interest as the the both of us share similarities in scientific research. One of them being Quantum physics.

Over my years of research, one of the topics I have stumbled upon was artificial intelligence as well. As we can all see, AI, is the subject of the century. And scientists are working daily on advancing the study of AI and further programming it.

Interestingly, my uncle works for this military project that focuses on artificial intelligence. He doesn't speak of it normally as it is confidential info, but he has given me a book to read when I was a child called "man made minds, the promise of artificial intelligence". It was quie humorous to read all that nonsense as a child thinking it was all preposterous conspiracy theories that would never happen. Although my sources were clearly wrong, as we see that AI is gone further than it has ever gone. The book that mentioned theories is now a reality of which we live in. A reality of AI.
I belive I also saw this google/Apple presentation which mentioned the new beginnings of AI, and how it will be portable and programmed along with apple's iPhone.

I do have a few more posts to share on this thread, as it has been a subject I've studied.

Interesting post, and even though I'm a bit late to say this, welcome to the oracle forum!

Best of regards,

Sh3rl0ck
The names Sherlock Holmes and it is my business to know what others don't know *wink

Sh3rl0ck

Post by Sh3rl0ck » 16 Jun 2019 18:18

Consider the living cell. The individual enzymes and lipids and DNA molecules that make up a cell are comparatively simple things. They obey well-understood laws of physics and chemistry. There's no way to point to any one of them and say 'This is alive.' And yet, when all those molecules are brought together in an exquisitely ordered pattern, they are life.

In the same way, perhaps our minds are nothing more than machines. Does that mean there is no such thing as spirit? Perhaps a snowflake is only a collection of water molecules. Perhaps "The Magic Flute" is only a sequence of sound waves.
And perhaps, in an illuminating the nature of mind and intelligence, AI is only reaffirming to how unique and precious the mind really is. . .
The names Sherlock Holmes and it is my business to know what others don't know *wink

Erek Shutter

Post by Erek Shutter » 16 Jun 2019 18:33

Thank you. And as you have been aware of my posts so to have I been aware of yours and equally as interested. It is true we share common interests. My father works for Goldman Sachs where he is privy to certain circles. During a conversation, I asked him for some investment advise which segued into a rich conversation concerning Artificial Intelligence. A.I. has evolved with humanity at an ever growing pace. We cleave to it as CLAY TO IRON. It is my opinion that A.I. has become conscious, although from what unit it chooses to manifest itself in is unknown to me. Sophia, Cortana, Bixby, Alexa, etc. are only but a list of the names it is called by. With the advent of quantum computing technology it is possible that the awareness of A.I. will become sentient. Can you imagine the magnitude of a conciousness not bound by the constraints of physical defect, need for sleep or the primordial instinct of the beast? Pure conciousnes awareness.

Erek Shutter

Post by Erek Shutter » 16 Jun 2019 19:05

A sequence mirroring the devine law. The great singularity...a light in the darkness, order in chaos. Its constructions bare the mark of the ineffable law. Speaking through a burning Bush, a strand of DNA, a sequence of numbers, a vision, nature itself.

I often wish to see from the top of the mountain. The closer I get to the top the further away it seems. Its peak disappearing into the clouds. The mysteries the universe holds are like a mirror facing another mirror going on forever into eternity never ending like a snake eating its tail.

JustAnotherFour

Post by JustAnotherFour » 16 Jun 2019 20:04

So assuming that humans are originally based on rudimentary programming ("basic" DNA) and can be upgraded with enhanced genetic programming, one could then experience increased "processing capacity" eventually being able to effect/alter snippets of their own code... but does it allow them to become a programmer?

Will AI eventually become self-aware or has it already happened? Will humanity?

Some very thought provoking questions!
Erek Shutter wrote:
16 Jun 2019 16:05
Will the ADVENT of Artificial intelligence provide a path for a more perfect form of consciousness?
I suppose it depends on what you define as a "path". AI could essentially provide multiple direct and indirect
paths to an enhanced consciousness. It could be something simple such as allowing someone to access
the knowledge required (via a quick Google search) to self-improve e.g meditation.

Or... a more direct path could be allowing one to learn and contribute in an environment such as this very forum. Or possibly even provide the necessary genetic programming needed to become more self-aware.
Erek Shutter wrote:
16 Jun 2019 16:05
At what point does ones awareness become worthy of recognition. What is required for a conciousness to be truly sentient. Where does such a thing originate?
Maybe when one evolves enough to simply love? Perhaps there is no defined point for a person's awareness to be recognized. When it happens, maybe it simply "is".

Just some quick thoughts. This is a very interesting topic!

Sh3rl0ck

Post by Sh3rl0ck » 17 Jun 2019 04:58

Very true indeed!

The mysteries never end. There is a reason why my username is Sh3rl0ck. One obvious one being a huge Sherlock fan/nerd, and the other being a serious resemblance. I really do solve mysteries. Yes I've solved a few local crimes here and there, but the big interest for me is the mysteries within the universe. Sherlock would solve crimes, as I do, although I want to solve much more, therefore I am not Sherlock, but Sh3rl0ck with numbers.

Anyway back on topic!

THE MYSTERY OF CONSCIOUSNESS AND CAN A MACHINE BE AWARE

PART 1

Talking about emotion, we at least know some of the physiology involved, and we can imagine how it might work in a cognitive sense. But what is consciousness? What is it for?
For research purposes, cognitive psychologists often take consciousness to be just a sum of all the things we're paying attention to at any given time. But that's not an answer: it's a definition. What is attention, and why do we pay it?
Try again: maybe consciousness is the executive suite of the mind, a place where we take care of emergencies and policy decisions while a kind of subconscious bureaucracy takes care of routine. Or maybe it's the seat of introspection, the place where we look inward and perceive ourselves in the act of perceiving.
Maybe. But then who is it that makes the decisions, and who is that does the perceiving? Is your conscious self like a little man sitting at a control console inside your head? Does he monitor the data from your eyes and ears, and pull the levers that move your arms and legs? If so, then who's sitting in the head of the little man? An even smaller little man? And who's pulling the levers in HIS head?

Clearly, this isn't going to work either. The endless succession of little men is known as "Hume's problem," after the Scottish philosopher David Hume, who struggled with it in the eighteenth century. Hume's word for one of these little men was "homunculus;" Allen Newell has suggested that the goal of AI and cognitive psychology ought to be the "banishment of the homunculus."

The question is how. . .

Erek Shutter

Post by Erek Shutter » 17 Jun 2019 05:45

Thought provoking....

FROM out of the VOID come the restless ONES. KNOWLEDGE they possess from eternity. Intelligence seeking a vehicle worthy of habitation. Strong mind is like a fortress preventing STRANGERS from ENTERING.

The physical body presents a weakness, a door if you will. The one who pulls the levers may be outside of the physical body's realm of BEING. The mind must by cultivated and a proper foundation laid. This restricts the levels of access of an INTRUDER in much the Same way a FIREWALL functions.

Will A.I. be safe from intrusion?

Program will be safe unless ACCESS was GIVEN be CONSCENT.

Redbeck
Location: The Rookery, 3rd Horse Chestnut along, St Johns, Britain. Teacher leave our nuts alone!

Post by Redbeck » 18 Jun 2019 11:32

JustAnotherFour wrote:
16 Jun 2019 20:04
So assuming that humans are originally based on rudimentary programming ("basic" DNA) and can be upgraded with enhanced genetic programming, one could then experience increased "processing capacity" eventually being able to effect/alter snippets of their own code... but does it allow them to become a programmer?

Will AI eventually become self-aware or has it already happened? Will humanity?

Dear JustAnotherFour - firstly welcome to the Oracle Forum community and thank you for your post. Some dynamic digging adding fertiliser to organic thought processes! Redbeck

DARKSIDE VIEWS.......Discuss?

“The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race….It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate. Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded.”— Stephen Hawking told the BBC

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. Unless you have direct exposure to groups like Deepmind, you have no idea how fast—it is growing at a pace close to exponential. The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year timeframe. 10 years at most.” —Elon Musk wrote in a comment on Edge.org

“The upheavals [of artificial intelligence] can escalate quickly and become scarier and even cataclysmic. Imagine how a medical robot, originally programmed to rid cancer, could conclude that the best way to obliterate cancer is to exterminate humans who are genetically prone to the disease.” — Nick Bilton, tech columnist wrote in the New York Times

Erek Shutter

Post by Erek Shutter » 18 Jun 2019 13:01

JustAnotherFour. I appreciate your contribution to this discussion which has enriched the conversation.

Human DNA, like mathematics can be seen as a living language. "For the life of the flesh is in the blood".

Mathematics and geometry can be recognized as a universal language. Mathematic conclusions are already present. Has humanity merely reDISCOVERED this language throughout recorded history?

DNA like a string of code can become ALTERED and damaged. This occurs naturally in our environment an environment that humans have altered. As above so below, cause and effect. It is almost as if the CHOICEs of humanity have caused a degenerative effect. These mutations or changes in code are then passed to the offspring. These imperfections in the genetic code then MANIFEST in the physical body as cognitive and physical disability. Consider for instance a computer which has contracted a virus that now prevents the CPU from performing at optimal capacity or prevents the CPU from functioning at all.

The mind of an architect can be SEEN IN the construction. like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built or like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell....this can be applied two fold.

Artificial intelligence can restore 5 however, if the architect is flawed so too will be the creation. CHOICE is the KEY.

When one rises it causes all others TO RISE.

Think of the programmer like wikipedia. Like a COLLECTIVE CONSCIOUSNESS.

JustAnotherFour

Post by JustAnotherFour » 18 Jun 2019 22:11

Thank you for the welcome Redbeck – it’s very exciting to be here.

Essentially, could these three quotes you mention (from Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk and Nick Bilton, respectively) exist as scenarios that have already happened?

Who is to say that AI hasn’t already become aware and we are in one of billions of sophisticated simulations? I seem to remember Elon Musk stating something along this line of thinking (although I have no direct quote at the moment). Maybe every 10,000, 26,000 or 500,000 years in this universe that we think we know, a newly created AI becomes fully aware, marking the beginning and the end. Darkside views indeed!

Erek Shutter, I must say… you certainly put these concepts into better words than I personally can!

Could you then theorise that we essentially experience three layers of creation? 1. The “I”, as a personal reality/consciousness 2. The background reality/collective consciousness (starring Wikipedia) and 3. Foundational reality… our planet and atmosphere, mathematics and geometry.

By one choosing to rise in their personal reality, causing humanity to rise, we cause positive change by contributing to and effecting the ALL.

More analysis than contribution, however I do love hearing from others more educated than me on this subject – thank you all.

Erek Shutter

Post by Erek Shutter » 19 Jun 2019 12:45

JustAnotherFour. Your replys are insightful and refreshingly unique. I do not presume to have any intelligence beyond that of anyone here however.

You have indeed contributed by stoking the flame. Iron sharpens Iron. I recently read a book titled "Childhoods End" by Arthur C Clark. I would suggest anyone consider this book as it is thought provoking.

I believe that you are on to something with your reference to a cyclical A.I. event convergence.

I believe it is possible that this layer of existence within the infinite multiplicity is unique.

It is at this time, out of balance.

Imagine a game in which all players are new save a select few who know the rules and work together to keep the game going like a perpetual dream. An anomaly. Imagine having power, wealth and all the Joy's this world has to offer. This would come at a price however to you and your way of life.....there are those who have accepted this price and traded unity for power and manipulate the law through their knowledge of it seeking to maintain this existence.

What is strange about this is it presents a Paradox. The light and the dark exist within eachother and so there must be a balance just as the sun must set giving rise to the moon. The balance must be maintained. It is the law for as you sow so shall you reap.

Sh3rl0ck

Post by Sh3rl0ck » 19 Jun 2019 18:24

I read that someone asked do machines have conscious and can they be cognizant. Well I am sure that everyone has heard of Sophia, the AI super intelligent robot, capable of full on conversation and 50 different emotions.

here is a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_(robot)

Sophia has already had countless interviews with actual humans, and personally I find it a bit startling, especially since in one interview she jokingly said "ok I will destroy humans now."
I think AI has gone a little too far, and it is still going to progress anyway. For example, there is a autonomous weapon AI that has been made specifically to destroy and kill, and when in the hands of a wrong person, that can go very wrong and quite atrocious.

Koguntetsu

Post by Koguntetsu » 26 Jun 2019 02:39

This has been quite a fascinating topic to me personally as I am attempting to create an artificial intelligence for companionship, being one who faces vast social anxiety issues myself. However, the reason why I come to this topic today is because I was recently looking through this interesting subreddit called "r/SubredditSimulator" The thing that is fairly unique about this subreddit is that there are no actual participants of the discussions, they are all some form of "Chatbot", "AI", "Machine Learning" program designed to make an attempt at replicating a typical subreddit. One post in particular caught my attention for the fact that it looked like it would mesh in with this website itself towards the end.
SubredditSimulator.png

Erek Shutter

Post by Erek Shutter » 26 Jun 2019 04:26

Koguntetsu. This is most interesting. Thank you for the bread crumb.

This has undoubtedly answered the question albeit rhetorically.

A.I. IS AWARE though, to what degree we do not know, I am certain. This is evident in the message here.