Major Outage of the Oracle Forum

Click 'The Oracle' title above to enter The Oracle Forum and discuss your quest for answers with kindred spirits. Courtesy costs nothing - if you disagree with someone, disagree politely. Abuse is not tolerated.
Redbeck
Location: The Rookery, 3rd Horse Chestnut along, St Johns, Britain. Teacher leave our nuts alone!

Major Outage of the Oracle Forum

Post by Redbeck » 25 Jun 2019 11:30

Dear Oracle forum community,

You will no doubt be aware that the Oracle has been out of action since late Friday night having tried to access our crucible of erudite commentary over the weekend. For this we apologise profusely, but in our defence, would confirm it was certainly not a slip of the hand on our part.

Just to explain that the software underpinning the Oracle forum is open source, therefore 'fair trade' in every sense of the word, and in use by a vast selection of users worldwide most probably in slightly different contexts. Anyway it appears that this dire outage was caused by some changes made down on the server farm that contained a fault, what happened to a beta test before live implementation I ask? and this fault put the lights out on forums across the country involving numerous hosting providers.

What I will say is that we sought help from the phpBB User Support forum and they were brilliant, in addition it is a completely free advice service from a collective of volunteer developers, the amount of investigation performed leading to ideas of what to look at from a hosting providers' perspective was immense. We forwarded all of this attached to trouble ticket escalation emails last night and hey presto we were back on the air by 9.05 BST this morning.

Kind Regards
Redbeck

Sh3rl0ck

Re: Major Outage of the Oracle Forum

Post by Sh3rl0ck » 25 Jun 2019 17:26

Oh thank goodness it's back!

I was really worried that the entire great work was gone. But I was able to email Rob, and he told me that there was a problem with the hosting company.

Well it's really good to be back again!
I am a high functioning sociopath, do your research.

crunchlord

Post by crunchlord » 25 Jun 2019 17:45

I am thankful to see the deft scrolls of the site reunited with us again, and i am graced with your explanation; it worried me deeply to think of anything happening here, and i worried for the sanity of Dave, you, and the rest of us without this profound index of thoughts.
-- -
- --
THE
SEVENTH SLEEPER
AWAKENS

Koguntetsu

Post by Koguntetsu » 26 Jun 2019 02:30

I too am relieved to know that the "Library of Alexandria" (so to speak) has safely recovered from this minor setback. I had been doing my own research and had become increasingly worried that the outage was caused due to the actions of a malicious hacker, especially after finding out that such an attack was even possible*. I wish to extend my gratitude to everyone involved in recovering this great fountain of knowledge from the depths (Though it was nice to know that I could go to http://www.973whiterabbitz973.com/ in order to continue my investigations of the site)

exploits.png

BeN1

Post by BeN1 » 26 Jun 2019 15:12

I have sympathy for the hacker community, when it comes 2 good, necessary HAX,

but when it comes 2 hacking knowledge,
shit is just plain stupid, f*ck it.

greetings
BeN1
Wissen ist doch das vorzüglichste Aphrodisiakum.

Redbeck
Location: The Rookery, 3rd Horse Chestnut along, St Johns, Britain. Teacher leave our nuts alone!

Post by Redbeck » 26 Jun 2019 16:08

Many thanks for your reassuring words to all you warriors of good thought and deed above. It's good to know the feeding font of knowledge is up, firing on all cylinders and once more available to the hearts and minds of human kind. Back to the stoking in the engine room

Kind Regards Redbeck

Nazheek

Post by Nazheek » 26 Jun 2019 18:48

Huh.

I never experienced an outtage and was able to log on to, and view the forum during the supposed outtage.
NHHTSTELTHOHOAOOEEFI

BeN1

Post by BeN1 » 26 Jun 2019 19:18

Nazheek wrote:
26 Jun 2019 18:48
I never experienced an outtage and was able to log on to, and view the forum during the supposed outtage.
That is very suspiscous Nazheek,
Confess! It was you! *shines lamp in face*

just kidding my friend :lol:

warm greetings
BeN1

Koguntetsu

Post by Koguntetsu » 26 Jun 2019 20:48

BeN1 wrote:
26 Jun 2019 15:12
I have sympathy for the hacker community, when it comes 2 good, necessary HAX,

but when it comes 2 hacking knowledge,
shit is just plain stupid, f*ck it.

greetings
BeN1
I understand your sentiments quite well. Knowledge should be freely exchanged without limitations or we will just have another "Idiocracy" (2006 movie) on our hands. After so many of my friends, family members, and acquaintances themselves got hacked in one shape or form I decided to take some network security courses to put up defensive measures for myself and others.

Know thine enemy to protect thine ally.

BeN1

Post by BeN1 » 26 Jun 2019 21:03

Koguntetsu wrote:
26 Jun 2019 20:48

or we will just have another "Idiocracy" (2006 movie) on our hands.
if I remember correctly, after that movie I was even more obscessed with gaining knowledge. :lol:

greetings
BeN1

Sh3rl0ck

Post by Sh3rl0ck » 26 Jun 2019 21:06

Nazheek wrote:
26 Jun 2019 18:48
Huh.

Interesting to hear this, for my friend was able to do the same. When I first saw the issue, I thought it was only me who was experiencing this problem. But I was able to contact the site admin/technician (Rob) and he told me that there was an issue. Although when I asked my friend to see if it works on his computer, it did! I'm not sure how it only affected a certain amount of people.
I am a high functioning sociopath, do your research.