Sanguine Secret

Click 'The Oracle' title above to enter The Oracle Forum and discuss your quest for answers with kindred spirits. Courtesy costs nothing - if you disagree with someone, disagree politely. Abuse is not tolerated.
Nazheek

Sanguine Secret

Post by Nazheek » 24 Jul 2019 17:45

Blood has been an archetype for life since the neolithic eras of civilization. All civilizations, without exception (as far as I know), view blood as being one of, if not the life-giver, to many beings. It runs through at least every mammal, and almost all animals.

The use of certain archetypes, Jungian or culture-specific, has a strong tendency to affect people in psychological, and often more tangible and somatic ways. Likely through the same process as the placebo effect, these elements of daily life have a profound grasp on the day-to-day flow.

Varying blood drinkers have existed through history. From a queen who consumed the blood of her murder courtiers, to autophagy and other more couthful and morally correct means of consumption, it has remained a popular cultural taboo in cinema, literature, and other forms of creative media.

But what about the people who perform this unusual action today? Sanguinarians, self-identified "vampires" consume human blood from willing donors in private clubs called covens. While they seem harmless, there are concerns that this activity could bring about bloodborne illness and potential infection due to salivary contact with open wounds.

Modern science has not yet developed an understanding of the potential dangers of the consumption of human blood. While taboo, it does not seem like it could have many dangers, but it's important to remember how badly prions struck cannibal tribes in the past. It could be that some hidden pathogen exists within blood that awakens from consumption, much like how prions resided in the brain and spread to new hosts via cannibalism.

Regardless, many of the so-called Sanguinarians trumpet that they received health benefits from the consumption of blood, but most simply view it as little more than a common addiction or alternative lifestyle.

I bring this up because it brings up an overwhelming curiousity in me: Would the use of archetypal items in ritual or daily activity actually bring about tangible change in at least your life?

Let me know your thoughts.
NHHTSTELTHOHOAOOEEFI

Sh3rl0ck

Re: Sanguine Secret

Post by Sh3rl0ck » 24 Jul 2019 18:36

This is strange, as I have never thought of it that way.

Now that you bring this up, why is blood so important in rituals and various religions?

I would assume that blood is maybe the metaphor of life? Its constantly running each day and it's the primary source of life. Almost every living creature has it, or something similar at least.

Maybe there's a bigger point to it. But that's the way I'd perceive why blood is a major relic in religions and other various beliefs.

Even in the bible, Jesus Christ "turns the blood into wine" in memory of him and life.

But then again like you have mentioned, other historic figures used and see it in a different perspective. Example, Elizabeth Bathory, as you said, bathed in pure virgin blood as a part of her beauty regimen, earning her the name "countess Dracula"
The names Sherlock Holmes and it is my business to know what others don't know *wink

Sh3rl0ck

Re: Sanguine Secret

Post by Sh3rl0ck » 24 Jul 2019 18:40

Check this link out, it's got a few strange historic as well as modern stories of vampirism

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015102 ... uman-blood
The names Sherlock Holmes and it is my business to know what others don't know *wink