Nostalgia For The 9th of December

Click 'The Oracle' title above to enter The Oracle Forum and discuss your quest for answers with kindred spirits. Courtesy costs nothing - if you disagree with someone, disagree politely. Abuse is not tolerated.
Post Reply
Redbeck
Site Admin
Posts: 2147
Joined: 19 Dec 2010 15:42
Location: The Rookery, 3rd Horse Chestnut along, St Johns, Britain. Teacher leave our nuts alone!
Contact:

Nostalgia For The 9th of December

Post by Redbeck »

Villes de Bruxelles is actually the lyrics to a song composed in the winter of 1977 in another lifetime, but I have reason to believe it was originally written in its virtually full and final form between the 7th and 9th of December of that year, despite the haze of strong drink and chillled fumbling guitar fingers in a very old, cold and draughty Belgian terrace house on Avenue Henri Matisse. More than likely written for the then 18 year old Paula de Bakker who was to become the composer's lover in 1978.

Ville de Bruxelles

Winter’s coming on and the summer’s almost gone
And the birds are flying south from Waterloo
In the Place Rogier all the buses drive away
‘Cos the tourists are all on the move
The Lion’s feeling old, now the nights are getting cold
And the Foret de Soigne’s turning brown
In the Cinquantenaire, all the trees will soon be bare
And the Foire du Midi is closing down


Oh Ville de Bruxelles, I’ll remember you well,
If I have to leave I’ll be sad
But when I’m far away, I’m sure it will stay
The best time that I’ve ever had

The Manneken Pis, he is blowing a kiss
at the crowds that will soon disappear
In the Rue du Midi all the pavements are free
For it’s almost the end of the year
The snow is coming down, on the centre of town
In the Grand Place they say their goodnights
by the Gare Nord all the ladies look bored
And they’re starting to put out their lights

And I’ve lived here so long, so I wrote you this song,
You can call it my tribute to you,
I think it’s the least I can do
And Brussels the time it just flew

At Montana Mike’s, there is music and lights
And the punters are still flocking in
There’s a nip in the air but the drinkers don’t care
As the frosties go down with a grin
At the Roosevelt Eight, they will stay open late
So the clients don’t walk in the cold
But in Woluwe Park they still skate in the dark
Long after sunset has turned the trees gold

Oh Ville de Bruxelles, I’ll remember you well,
If I have to leave I’ll be sad
But when I’m far away, I’m sure it will stay
The best time that I’ve ever had

A.McTiernan

Image
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests